Saturday, March 10, 2007

Commonwealth Books in Boston MA

















526 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA.
888-520-5999.

I was surprised to find this store in March of 2007, amidst the most likely Boston University- controlled development in Kenmore Square where I lived as a freshman in the early 90s. Interesting fireplace thing happening, and some rare art books in the front. The sections are interesting, but small. Towards the back of the store, there is an ample literature section. I remember leaving with only one book, found well-chilled on the outside bargain carts: a nice $3 hardback copy of the Bob Klapisch sports classic (at least for Mets fans), High and Tight: The Rise and Fall of Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry. Although I didn't find much for me, I was happy to see a bookstore in Kenmore amidst all the billion dollar gentrification of what used to be a seedy, but interesting neighborhood.



















***
UPDATE
During my Summer 2008 visit to the area, I learned that this shop closed. Luckily, for the time being, another bookstore has taken its place:
Symposium Books – Boston Store
526 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215
617-585-6559
If it is at all like its Providence RI cousin, it should be worth a look. I'll check it out next time around.

No comments: